Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Smoky Grilled Tempeh

This recipe is from the cookbook Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.

Recipe: see page 130 of Veganomicon.
I haven't made anything from Veganomicon in awhile, and this recipe jumped out at me because I love tempeh. The tempeh is marinated for awhile before cooking. I've never
done much with marinated foods, so I'm never sure if I'm doing it correctly. From the directions, it seems like the marinate is supposed to soak through it, and it never does, no matter how long I let it sit. Maybe it is the brand of tempeh I am using (Trader Joe's Organic 3-Grain Tempeh), I don't know. But this still came out quite tasty, so I guess it doesn't matter.

The marinade is very smoky and mildly sweet, and goes well with the nuttiness of the tempeh. I really like the dark, rich appearance and the difference in color between the outside and inside once I cut into the tempeh.

The recipe gives instructions for grilling, pan frying and broiling. The photo depicts pan frying.

Ingredients: tempeh (Trader Joe's Organic 3-Grain Tempeh used here), vegetable broth, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, olive oil, maple syrup, garlic.